The Hoosier Salon legacy began in 1925 when the Daughters of Indiana opened the doors to the first exhibition at Marshall Fields and Company Galleries in Chicago. The high quality of art was applauded by critics and the public alike, the first exhibition included works by such notables as T.C. Steele, J. Ottis Adams and Will Vawter, and was an unqualified success.
In 1940 the annual exhibit moved from Chicago to downtown Indianapolis. The Annual Exhibition was shown annually for the past 30 years at the Indiana State Museum and in 2012 moved to the Eugene and Marilyn Glick History Center. The Hoosier Salon galleries in Broad Ripple, New Harmony and Wabash, also host over thirty special shows each year.
The Hoosier Salon is a statewide nonprofit arts organization whose mission is to create an appreciation of visual art by promoting Hoosier artists and their art.
Founding Purpose: “Inspiring Indiana artists, the novices as well as the experts, to develop their collective talent; calling attention to those artists who immortalize Indiana’s beauty, its characters and its history; and to furnish an outlet and profitable market for those artists, a market which would encourage the beginner and reward the professional”